It seems like everyone I know is talking about exercising to feel better during these cold winter days and nights. And while we all have our own ideas around where to work out, the one thing that many people seem to agree on is needing a place that is welcoming, with a lot of options and of course, fun to visit. I recently stopped by one local exercise studio that meets all of this criteria – Mount Clemens Jazzercise at 300 North Groesbeck Hwy, located inside the Mount Clemens Community Center.
I met the owner, Lisa Michalik, five years ago when she leased a little space on the second floor of the Mount Clemens Ice Arena. From that first meeting, I could tell that she’s an incredibly motivated individual. Exercise is a part of her life and it is hard to believe she struggled with her weight in the past, but she did. She wanted to feel healthy and fell in love with Jazzercise. It worked for her and she is now very passionate about encouraging others to follow that same exercise path – while making friends along the way.
Over her seven years in business, Lisa has grown her Jazzercise facility from one instructor offering three classes per week to four customers, to nine instructors offering 28 classes per week for hundreds of customers. Notably, there are membership options to meet everyone’s needs. I’ve listed several of those here for folks ready to get into shape:
- Ages 16-21 – FREE to exercise. That’s right. Absolutely free with unlimited classes.
- Ages 22-25 – Half off any class pass
- Ages 25 and up – $20 drop in fee and unlimited monthly memberships starting at $59/mo
- Childcare is available M-Sat at 9:30 a.m. and M-Th at 4:30 p.m. for only $2 per child per day
There are also two great promotions going on right now:
- Attend unlimited classes through 12/31/19 for only $425 ($450 savings!): https://squareup.com/market/jazzercise-mt-clemens/item/best-deal-of-the-year.
- Attend unlimited classes for one whole month for only $50 ($59 savings). You can even earn a tank top if you attend 20 classes within your first 28 days! https://squareup.com/market/jazzercise-mt-clemens/item/february-challenge
With 28 one-hour classes rotating throughout the morning, evening and weekends, there’s something for every schedule. And in my experience, this isn’t the Jazzercise we know from the 1980s. There are classes like Dance Mixx, Interval, Fusion, Core, Strike, Strength, etc. Truly, this is Jazzercise for the 21st century.
If you’re unsure about trying this out, I’d like to note that you do not need to be a dancer to participate. The certified instructors cue the moves and explain the steps. All you have to do is be ready to get fit while having fun strength training, doing yoga and Pilates moves, dancing and at times using hand-held weights, exercise bands and balls.
The last thing I’ll point out is the strong sense of community I’ve experienced at Mount Clemens Jazzercise, something you won’t normally experience at a gym. There are supportive teachers and everyone is very friendly; they even host several fun parties and events outside of class throughout the year! Because of this, I highly recommend stopping by Jazzercise and trying it out. You won’t regret it.
Jack Johns is a project coordinator within the economic development services group. He works with businesses across all industries in Macomb County with the goal of helping them grow.